Welcome and thank you for joining us.
Welcome to the Spur Equine Program, a place where you will discover the incredible power of working with horses whilst learning new skills and connecting with fellow veterans. Our program has been thoughtfully designed by veterans for veterans, with the primary goal of promoting wellbeing and supporting your journey towards recovery.
Overview of Spur Equine courses
Spur courses have been thoughtfully designed to suit a range of experience levels, whether you are a seasoned horse enthusiast or taking your first steps into the equestrian world. Our courses are designed with an emphasis on Western riding, and will require all participants to start with the basics, here is a glimpse of what awaits you in each course:
- 2-day Western Horse Handlers Course: Our entry-level course that provides an immersive introduction to horse welfare, nutrition, and health needs. Through a series of engaging activities, you will gain essential skills and confidence in interacting with these magnificent animals. Activities include catching, haltering, and tying up a horse, handling and educating them, joining up, leading, and learning about tack and its use.
- 4-day Western Riding Course: During this course, you will delve into the fundamentals of Western riding, practice flatwork, and experience the thrill of trail riding. We also focus on safety and teach you essential techniques for controlling difficult horses.
- 5-day Western Trail Riding: Embark on a 5-day Trail Riding adventure that blends the skills you have learned in the arena and on trials to simulate trek conditions. This course is carefully designed to enhance your riding abilities and prepare you for our mountain trek. Over the course of five days, you will experience the true essence of trail riding as you navigate through various terrains and landscapes.
General course information
You will receive a Booking Confirmation email from Spur Admin, which will outline your specific course dates. Please refer to that and add the dates to your calendar!
Below is some handy information so you know what to expect and what to bring to your Spur course.
Time: 0830 h until approximately 1600 h
Location: Spur Ranch, located at Queen Victoria Park, 615 Thirlmere Way Picton NSW 2571
Parking: Car parking is available next to the multi-room/dining room.
- Drive to the T intersection, turn left towards Spur Ranch, follow the road around to the right.
- Park next to the white building.
- Please observe the 10kmph speed limit. Please do not park at the Dairy.
Arrival: Enter the hall upon arrival for a warm welcome. Tea and coffee will be available. After a rest break, proceed to the Corral and take a seat at the stand. Our team will provide further instructions.
Course Schedule: At 0900, a formal welcome and safety brief will be conducted. The program will be explained, and our Directing Staff (DS) will be available to guide you. Look for the team member wearing the Spur Ranch Logo.
Scheduled breaks: Breaks will be provided during the day as directed by the Manager. Daily breaks include morning tea, lunch, and afternoon .
Accommodation: If you have requested accommodation, you will be assigned a room with two beds and an ensuite. Please bring your own bedding (sheets/doona or sleeping bag and pillows) and towels. Laundry facilities are available.
- Jeans or pants that cover your legs
- Shirt or blouse with sleeves
- Covered shoes – running shoes are acceptable only for the 2-day Handlers Course, for all riding you will require boots, preferably with a heel as this will prevent the foot from sliding through the stirrup.
- Refillable drink bottle
- Sun protection (sunscreen, hat, sunglasses)
- Wet or warm weather clothing depending on current conditions
We will advise of specific considerations closer to commencement of course dates relevant to the weather we are experiencing.
Medication: Remember to bring any necessary medication with you each day.
Meals: We provide a simple continental breakfast with cereal, bread, fruit, yogurt, spreads, coffee, tea, and water.
Lunch will be catered by the Spur Program. If you have any dietary requirements, please inform us in advance.
Ready-made dinner options are available. Additionally, you can cook using our onsite facilities, and you’ll find both Woolworths and IGA stores nearby for groceries, plus several nearby takeout options.
Illness or Injury: If you experience any illness or injury during the course, please report it immediately to our team. Your privacy will be respected, and the information will remain confidential.
Drugs and Alcohol: Please note that individuals under the influence of drugs or alcohol will not be permitted to remain on the site.
We are here to ensure your journey with Spur is a memorable one. Should you need any assistance during your time with us, feel free to contact Max on 0408 851 613 or email [email protected].
We can’t wait to share this experience with you!
It has been a long road and my advocate has done well with my claims so far...your employees do make a difference, thank you.Stewart
The team did a great job in looking after my claim. I am most appreciative of the service you provide. Thank you.Shaun
I am extraordinarily grateful to the organisation.Guy
My claims advisor went above and beyond to help me with the DVA claims process. He was so kind and approachable and immediately came up with a plan to help me with my transition from Defence.Samantha
So very thankful for all of the help I have received with my appeal, and the outcome.Wayne
Thank you so much. Your staff are professional and your service and support invaluable.Jacki
I cannot say thank you enough for the help and support I have received.Drew
Not only efficient but a pleasure to deal with. Thank you for your help.Robin
A very professional service.Anne
Other ways we can help
Get in touch
You can access RSL LifeCare Veteran Services in the following ways.
At one of our three Veteran Wellbeing Centres, located in Nowra, Shoalhaven, Wagga Wagga, Riverina area, or Hunter Street, Newcastle West.Find out more
The Wellbeing Support team is available via phone 9am-5pm, Monday to Friday to assist you.Call 02 8088 0388
You can make an enquiry about our services online here.Enquire now
Today we honour Rawdon Hume “Ron” Middleton, VC.
SEVENTY nine years ago today a bomber took off from an air base in Suffolk, England. It was one of more than 200 aircraft on a mission to bomb heavy […]Read article
Jack of All Parades
Looking for someone who’s done it all? Meet Wayne Dixon – former reservist, firey, ambo, sub-Branch President, homecare volunteer, and more. If there’s a parade going, Wayne probably belongs in […]Read article
Horse Trekking Course – Trek 1, 2021 – Back in the saddle
ANZAC Day is a time of remembrance and camaraderie for many veterans; with emotions running high as they reflect on their service and the service of those who came before […]Read article
Download a brochure
We'll never share your email address and you can opt out at any time, we promise