Frequently Asked Questions
For more peace of mind in your decision making process
- How long do I have to wait?
- This depends both on your circumstances and our waiting list. When you are ready to make the move, we are often able to help you find your new home in a short period of time. For more information please contact the manager of the village in which you are interested.
- What are the deferred management fees (departure fees)?
- As the departure fees vary between villages, for more information please contact the manager of the village in which you are interested.
- Are capital gains on the property shared?
- Homes in our leasehold villages have capital gain sharing arrangements, whereas RSL LifeCare retains any capital gain share in our licence villages. For more details, please contact the manager of the village in which you are interested.
- Once I have decided on the purchase of a home, how long do I have to pay?
- If you need to sell a home to come into the village, we will hold your deposit against your home of choice for four weeks. At the end of this time, if your current home is not actively being marketed, we will refund your deposit to allow other clients who are more ready to proceed the same opportunity. If your home is on the market, we will continue to hold the home in your name but would expect settlement within three months from date of deposit. At the end of this period, we would review the situation with you and we may be able to offer you an extension. Your deposit is fully refundable at any time should you not proceed to settlement.
If you are in a position to settle without selling a current property, you are able to settle within a short period of time if your home of choice is ready to occupy.
The Village strongly recommends that every potential new resident seeks independent financial and legal advice.
- How much are the recurrent charges (fortnightly maintenance fee)?
- Each village has recurrent charges specific to that village. Please contact the manager of the village in which you are interested for more information.
- What is included in the recurrent charges?
- Building Insurance
- Council Rates
- Maintenance of common grounds
- Maintenance of exterior of buildings
- Internal maintenance such as plumbing and electrical
- Services such as emergency call and the village manager
- What do I need to pay for?
- Contents Insurance (at your discretion)
- Gas (if applicable)
- Do you allow pets in the villages?
- Not all our villages allow pets however the following villages do.
- Austral – Tobruk Village
- Byron Bay – Bayside @ Byron
- Cherrybrook – Lakes of Cherrybrook
- Condobolin – Robert White Village
- Dubbo – Horizons Village
- Griffith – Soldier-Settlers Village
- Lismore – Chauvel Village
- Lyneham – El Alamein Village
- North Richmond – Kingsford-Smith Village
- Page – Coral Park
- Port Macquarie – Le Hamel Village
- Tea Gardens – Tea Gardens Grange
- Toukley – Long Khanh Lakefront Village
- Wagga Wagga – The Grange Lifestyle village
- Can changes be made to the home?
- Yes, subject to approval. Your request would have to be put in writing and forwarded to your Village Manager.
- What happens if we are/I am finding it difficult to live independently?
- We can assist in organising home care and support specifically tailored to your needs through RSL LifeCare at Home, or transfer into one of our Aged Care homes on site wherever villages and nursing homes are co-located. For a list of co-located sites click here.
Please understand that the Retirement Villages Act requires us to inform you that access to these facilities cannot be guaranteed; however, we are able to clearly demonstrate that we are regularly able to accommodate retirement living residents in our Nursing homes.
Normal fees and charges apply when accessing these services – in line with Government guidelines.
About RSL LifeCare at Home
RSL LifeCare offers an in-home care and support service and can assist you with a variety of services – from basic everyday tasks such as shopping, cooking and cleaning through to personal care (assistance with personal hygiene such as showering), nursing care, respite care and post-hospital care.
Services can be provided via government funded services (where eligible) such as Home Care Packages and DVA Community Nursing – or privately funded.
To find out how we can assist you to remain living safely and independently at home and for assistance in exploring eligibility for government funded services, call 1300 853 146 or email us.
For a full list of services and more information visit www.rsllifecareathome.org.au
- Can I access extra services while still living independently, whether in the village or in the local area?
- Yes, through RSL LifeCare at Home we can provide tailor made services specifically for your needs, whether on a short-term or long-term basis, and are available 24/7.
Care when you need it most
Featured Retirement Villages
Relax, knowing youre safe and well looked after in our home, where your quality of life is foremost in our award-winning care. View some of our popular locations.