Providing care and support to veterans that are homeless or at risk of homelessness to assist them to live sustainably and independently in their chosen community.
According to the most recent studies, homelessness is at an all-time high in Australia, with around 120,000 people currently living without a home. The 2019 Australian Housing and Urban Research Institute (AHURI) reports that over 5,750 of these are Australian Defence Force (ADF) veterans.
A partnership between RSL LifeCare and Wesley Mission, Homes for Heroes is an Ex-Services Organisation (ESO) that aims to address homelessness issues for our most vulnerable veterans. We provide support to male and female veterans who are experiencing homelessness or at risk of homelessness, and through a range of services we assist them to live sustainable, fulfilling and independent lives in their chosen community. This can be via transitional accommodation at one of 2 sites in Sydney or wrap around in-community transitional support.
What is the process to become involved in the Homes for Heroes program?
Getting to know you
Initially we will want to understand your current safety and determine what your immediate needs are so we can make plans for meeting them as soon as possible.
- Determine initial areas of support including temporary and safe accommodation, food vouchers or access to medical support.
- Arrange for a face-to-face meeting at a suitable time and location for you to discuss and plan next steps.
- This will focus on both your immediate and future needs and will identity the individual goals required to achieve the outcomes you are seeking.
Helping you understand our services
Once we have discussed and agreed on your needs and goals we
- Explain our services
- How they can best support you, and our expectations of you to work towards achieving them
- Consider options for community care and support, or accommodation in our transitional accommodation in either Northern Sydney or Western Sydney
- We well also review your current DVA entitlements to ensure they are appropriate to your personal circumstances
Individual Transition Plan
Once we develop and agree on your individual transition plan for achieving sustainable, fulfilling and independent living, you will:
- Receive a placement offer from Homes for Heroes
- Be linked with appropriate healthcare services or with your permission
- Work with Homes for Heroes staff to develop and review your transition plan.
- Meet weekly with the Homes for Heroes team
Transitional accommodation is available for you if you are currently homeless and are ready to work towards the changes needed to re-establish your independence in sustainable and safe living.Read more
If you are living in the community or have transitioned to sustainable community living from the program, we will maintain regular contact with you and continue to provide ongoing support and work through any issues, concerns or barriers you are facing.Read more
Download a brochure
We'll never share your email address and you can opt out at any time, we promise